iKWETA Safari Camp is about affordable Safari luxury in the Mt. Kenya Region. iKWETA is also about offering personalized service and value for money.
We are a *** (THREE) Star-rated establishment in the Kenya | East African Community classification of Tourism Enterprises (Category: Tented Camps (Tourism Act, 2011, Tourism Regulatory Authority Regulations, 2014. Kenya Gazette, Notice No. 6111, Vol. CXVIII No. 87, 5th August 2016).
- CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE four years running – 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 – by TripAdvisor, world’s largest travel community.
- WONDERFUL – 9 OUT OF 10 ranking by Booking.com, one of world’s largest online booking platforms.
- TOP CHOICE (2015) of Lonely Planet, world’s largest publisher of travel books.
- Featured in MSAFIRI, Kenya Airways Inflight Magazine, February 2015, Edition M109: Kenya’s Hidden Gem: Meru.
- Featured in DAILY NATION (Nairobi), Kenya’s leading newspaper, Saturday, October 21, 2015: Sights of Meru.
- Featured in BUSINESS DAILY (Nairobi), Friday, August 26, 2016 Ikweta Safari Camp raises the bar for Meru.
- Improved accessibility for guests who are wheelchair users and for those with reduced mobility.
We at iKWETA Safari Camp are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this Web site, then, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement. iKWETA Safari Camp may change this policy from time to time by updating this page.
What we collect
We collect the following information: Name; email address and other contact details.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to be able to follow up on your reservation and to provide you with a better service, and in particular for internal record keeping. We may use this information to contact you in the future to inform you of our Special Offers.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Reservation, Confirmation and Cancellation policies
In the case where you are still finalizing your travel plans, but would still like to hold space at iKWETA Safari Camp, we will provisionally book your accommodation, and you can let us know when you are ready to confirm your booking.
In most cases we can provisionally hold space until you are ready to confirm, provided that availability still exists. The following policies apply:
- Full-board accommodation rates include Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Selected beverages (tea/coffee, fresh juice at breakfast, water for packed Lunches) are also included.
- Full-board accommodation rates exclude Transport, Park fees, Game drives, Special excursions, and Beverages (other than the selected ones) are charged separately.
- All rates include applicable taxes – VAT, 16%; Tourism Levy, 2%.
- All rates subject to change without notice.
- Payment in advance of stay; Extras charged separately.
- Payment guarantees reservation.
- Tents cannot be held for guests before payment is made.
- We accept payment with M-PESA (to Till Number 56024), PayPal, and major Credit Cards.
- We also accept payments online. Please notify us after making your booking and we will send you an Email Transaction link to make payment in order to guarantee your reservation. Once you have completed the online payment process you will receive an email confirming your payment.
- We do not accept personal cheques.
- Walk-ins pay in full at check-in for entire stay.
- Variation of stay (shortening or prolonging of stay). Notice has to be given three (3) days in advance (in writing) for early departure or for prolonging the stay.
- Consideration will be given for prolonging stay provided there is availability.
- Cancellations will be in writing.
The following cancellation fees apply
- Up to 14 days prior to arrival: 50% due.
- Up to 10 days prior to arrival: 75% due.
- Less than including 7 days: 100% due.
Guest Registration policy
- iKWETA Safari Camp shall keep a register and shall enter or cause to be entered in the register particulars of every guest [Tourism Act, 2011. Section 27, Tourism Regulatory Authority Regulations, 2014. Register and book to be kept by licensee].
- All guests shall present their Kenya ID or national passport at check-in as well as other relevant information required for the register.
- Guests must be 18 years or older with Kenya ID or national passport to reserve or check in at iKWETA Safari Camp.
- Visitors of guests shall present their Kenya ID or national passport.
- Check-in time: 12:00 – 18:30 hours.
- Check-out time: 10:00 – 11:00 hours.
- A surcharge may be imposed for late check-out.
Safety and security
- Safety and security at iKWETA Safari Camp are assured 24/7.
- Standard safety and security protocols in place include physical security and perimeter control; security checks and controls at points of entry and exit; regular patrols on the perimeter and within the premises in order to detect and prevent intrusion by verifying security of perimeter wall, gates, doors, windows, etc.; secure onsite parking; CCTV cameras in strategic public areas [there are notices that these places are monitored by CCTV]; staff abiding by all relevant Company policies and procedures; management and staff abiding by all relevant legislation and regulations, including proper registration of all guests, etc.
- Nevertheless, guests are advised to take care of their personal belongings as the Camp does not assume responsibility for personal property lost or damaged or of personal valuables of guests lost that have not been handed over to Reception for safe keeping.
- All Guest Tents are also equipped with a safebox with a secure padlock. Guests can use the safebox for their valuables and cash.
- Guest can obtain the key to the secure padlock from Reception in exchange for a small refundable deposit.
- The Camp’s liability in regard to loss of or damage to guests’ property shall be in accordance with Kenya’s hospitality laws.
Loss of or damage to property of iKWETA Safari Camp
- Guests shall be held liable for any loss of or damage to property of iKWETA Safari Camp incurred by them.
- The establishment reserves the right to charge guest’s account commensurate to the cost of such loss or damage.
Swimming Pool Rules of Use
- The pool is reserved for guests staying at iKWETA Safari Camp.
- Guests wishing to use the Pool are alerted to the Rules of Use which are prominently displayed at The Cabana next to the Pool and are also outlined below.
1) No lifeguard on duty.
2) Children must be supervised by accompanying adults.
3) Swimmers should note the shallow and deep ends of the pool.
4) No running or diving.
5) No glass bottles or drinking glasses in Pool platform area.
6) Guests who appear inebriated shall be prohibited from swimming.
- All iKWETA Safari Camp guest tents are smoke-free.
- Smoking is absolutely forbidden in the tents, in the Residents’ Lounge and in the Two Zebras Dining. Smoking is allowed only in the designated outdoor areas.
- Violation of the policy will incur a heavy fine, and in case of repeat violation, the guest(s) may be asked to leave. There will be no refund.
Policy on noise and conduct
- To maintain serene surroundings and especially a quiet and sleep-conducive environment, iKWETA Safari Camp has zero tolerance noise policy.
- The Camp will issue a warning to an offending guest if there is a noise complaint.
- If there is a second complaint, the offending guest will be evicted from iKWETA Safari Camp with no refund.
- There is zero tolerance policy to drunkenness. [See also below on The Law on drunken behaviour under Food and beverage policy.]
- No illegal substances are permitted at iKWETA Safari Camp. A violation will result in immediate expulsion from iKWETA Safari Camp and the involvement of law enforcement.
Food and beverage policy
- All food and beverages for the purpose of entertaining in a guest tent or anywhere else on the premises must be provided by iKWETA Safari Camp.
- Guests who infringe the policy may be surcharged or evicted from iKWETA Safari Camp with no refund.
- Persons wishing to have lunch or dinner at iKWETA Safari Camp are welcome. However, they have to make a reservation. Confirmation will be made upon receipt of payment.
- iKWETA Safari Camp is very strict in the observance of Kenya’s alcoholic drinks control laws, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the establishment’s licenses. [Alcoholic Drinks Control Act, 2010 – Subsidiary legislation (Special Issue, Kenya Gazette Supplement No. 91 of 17th December, 2010 (Legislative Supplement No. 59), LEGAL NOTICE NO. 206. FOURTH SCHEDULE: Licence Hours, Conditions and Exceptions. Hotel Alcoholic drink Licence. Restaurant Alcoholic drink Licence).]
- A number of relevant provisions are outlined under the sub-sections below.
Provisions of our Hotel Alcoholic Drink Licence
We are authorized to sell alcoholic drink on any day of the week to a lodger for his/her own and his/her guest’s consumption on the premises, at any hour.
Provisions of our Restaurant Alcoholic Drink Licence
(a) We are authorized to sell alcoholic drink on any day of the week to persons taking meals in the restaurant, for consumption with such meals.
(b) We are authorized to sell alcoholic drink from Monday to Friday during the hours of 5.00 p.m. to 11.00 p.m.
(c) We are authorized to sell alcoholic drink during weekends and public holidays during the hours of 2.00 p.m. to 11.00 p.m.
The law on drunken behaviour
(1) A licensee or an agent or employee of a licensee may refuse to admit to, and shall expel from, the premises to which his licence relates any person who is drunk and disorderly, violent, or quarrelsome, or whose presence would subject the licensee to a fine or penalty under this Act.
(2) Any person referred to in subsection (1) who, on being requested by the licensee or his agent or employee, or by a police officer, to quit the licensed premises, refuses to do so, commits an offence.
(3) On the demand of a licensee or his agent or employee, a police officer shall expel or assist in expelling from the licensed premises the person referred to in subsection (1).
(4) A licensee who permits any drunkenness leading to violent, quarrelsome or riotous conduct to take place on the premises to which the licence relates commits an offence.
The law on access by persons under age of eighteen years
(1) No person holding a licence to manufacture, store or consume alcoholic drinks under this Act shall allow a person under the age of eighteen years to enter or gain access to the area in which the alcoholic drink is manufactured, stored or consumed.
(2) Any person who contravenes the provisions of subsection (1) commits an offence.
Riding trail bikes around iKWETA Safari Camp is not allowed, including on the nature trails.
Pets are not allowed.
Acceptable Internet use policies
iKWETA Safari Camp provides free Internet connection over the cellular network. Given the nature of cellular networks, the quality of connection, including connection speeds, could be variable. The service is available in the Central Area (Two Zebras Dining and Bar, Guest Lounge, Verandah) and is intended for limited use to facilitate basic communications by guests (light browsing, sending and receiving mail, etc.).
iKWETA Safari Camp provides access to Internet to its guests as an amenity to enhance the quality of their stay with us. Guests wishing to use the Internet can request Wi-Fi Access Credentials from Reception. Only one set of credentials is issued per guest. A guest cannot be issued with several credentials to connect to different devices (e.g., laptop, tablet, phone, etc.) simultaneously. Guests wishing to access the Internet over our Network are expected to adhere to Acceptable Internet Use Policies, which include the following:
1) Guest shall not use the iKWETA Safari Camp network to access objectionable or illegal content as defined by the laws of Kenya.
2) Guest shall desist from online activities such as downloading videos and streaming music since these activities can be a significant drain on our available bandwidth.
3) Guest who abuses our fair use policy or violates our establishment’s rules and general guidelines shall be denied further access to our Internet connection and may also be asked to leave iKWETA Safari Camp.
- We do not offer printing services onsite; neither do we allow use of our business computers by guests to process their documents, access their mail, etc.
- In the exceptional situation when we accept to print an important document for a guest (that is, a document no longer than five (5) standard pages, e.g., an e-Ticket [electronic air ticket], the guest will be charged a nominal fee for the service.